17 Apr 2015

experiments in dressmaking - 'summer is coming!' top

Earlier this week I finished making a(n incredibly simple) summery top. I'm calling it summery because it's yellow and has kimono-esque sleeves. Look!
Seeing as one of my goals this month was to sort through my craft supplies and separate the wheat from the chaff (not so much chaff which is good because I found some ace fabric that I forgot I had but bad because I'm not throwing or giving any of it away and storage space is v.v.tight). One of the things I found was this cheerful (not floral!) fabric by Cotton + Steel which I bought last summer and clearly failed to do anything with. Well last summer's loss is this one's gain.

After deciding pretty quickly that I wasn't going to faff about with darts and instead opt for something v.loose fitting, the top was born. I added some rather nice trim to the sleeves and hem and voila! It's not fancy or technical in the slightest but it's comfy, and I think it'll be perfect for when the weather hots up.
It's been a bit of an odd Friday for me - tough decisions and phone calls to make (I'm not great at either so my coping method is to sing along to Kings of Leon - Youth and Young Manhood really really loudly). But anyhoo, it's almost the weekend (yay!) and I've just decided that I deserve an icecream. Happy Friday all! 



7 comments:

  1. I did not realize at first the pattern had tiny white crosses. I took them for tiny flowers at first. Very cool that you can make your own clothing! KOL is the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to buy a lot of floral stuff so little crosses is a stray from the norm :) much love for KoL

      Delete
  2. This looks great! I love everything - the simple cut of the top, the amazing yellow colour, the white trim. It looks fantastic on you, too. Ah Youth & Young Manhood... KoL back when they were still good. I LOVE that album.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Janet! I'm a sucker for pretty trim :) The first three KoL albums are faves, but yeah that first one - every track a winner.

      Delete
  3. What a sweet pattern and lovely fabric, it looks good on you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. aha! this is the post I was trying to comment on at work.

    Nice bright and sunny top boo! Suits you. Hopefully the waether will pick and match your top x

    ReplyDelete

Ta v.much :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...