1 Sep 2014

A Cornish Honeymoon: Part Two

Feeling a little worse for wear after a night of many pints of Cornish ale, we walked down to Mevagissey. I pretty much fell in love with place, life there just seemed so perfectly chilled. After a stuffing our faces with a Cornish pasty we took a ferry over to Fowey (pronounced foy) where we made friends with the cutest dog ever called Bobby.

Fowey was bustling with tourists and locals thanks to the regatta that was taking place that week. We took refuge in a lovely old establishment and ordered our first (and only) cornish cream tea of the holiday. Fuelled up on crab sandwiches and scones, we headed out to explore the town. Winding narrows streets with not a flat stretch of road in sight. Having poked our noses into a few shops and witnessed some of the parade, we found ourselves walking away from the busy streets and towards the beach at Readymoney Cove. This was one of the times I wished I'd brought my swimming costume, it was such a sweet little beach. Before long it was time to catch the last ferry back to Mevagissey. An altogether more civilised evening saw us enjoy a delicious dinner of sea bass and scallops at a restaurant on the quay-side.

Thursday we woke up early and raring to go, a day at the Eden Project and a go at their zip wire was on the cards. Our hosts v.kindly drove us there and we already had our tickets taken care of thanks to a couple of friends which was nice! First stop: the rainforest biome. It was amazing! These pictures do not do it justice. The plants in there were incredible - banana tree leaves are like 6ft long! Mitch also spotted some of the wildlife! We dropped in on the dinosaurs summer exhibition but it was quite obviously aimed at children and pretty meh (an animatronic t-rex tucking into a triceratops). The best bit of it was actually the information boards placed around the queuing system explaining the timeline of the earth. We made our way to the Mediterranean biome which was incredibly busy - uncomfortably so  - and partly shut-down. Disappointed but happy to get out of the crowds we made our way to the zip wire.

Omg I loved the zip wire, it was over waaay too quickly for my liking. As soon as it finished I wanted to do it again! The wire took you the width of the site and over the tops of the biomes. I was heavy enough to have my arms spread the whole time which just added to the feeling of flying :) They allot an hour for your sky wire but most of that is taken up with a safety talk, getting geared-up and waiting for your turn. It only cost 15 quid which felt like a bargain especially as we'd not yet paid for anything that day (we made our own lunch, the food there looked nice but pricey). We paid a quick visit to the shop before we left. I could've quite easily spent a small fortune in there but we resisted and instead opted for a few bottles of Cornish ale and a couple of presents for my parents.

After  a crappy journey home (we waited an hour and a half for a bus) we rewarded ourselves with fish, chips, mushy peas and a couple of pints of Proper Job in a 15th century pub in Mevagissey. It turned into a bit of late one as back at the farmhouse we stayed up chatting with our lovely hosts (and met their v.cute pet rat, Jade). If they weren't quitting the B&B business I'd highly recommend where we stayed - it was literally perfect.

Still to come: mackerel fishing and our last day in Cornwall.


Ta v.much :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...