7 Jan 2014

this time last year...

This time last year, Mitch and I were stomping around in Manhattan (or Brooklyn if we want to get ultra specific about dates). Judging from the news and weather reports, it's looking pretty damn cold in NYC (and actually, the whole of north america and canada in general) at the mo, so actually, for once, I'm glad I'm not there right now. It's definitely hammering home the fact that I really shouldn't complain about the rain that's happening in London. I've got my fingers and toes crossed that this gang of storms will bugger off soon.

Anyway, enough about the weather. It was very hard not to keep comparing this new year to last new year (apologies for banging on about it) but, I'm going to afford myself one more slice of reminiscence pie before I shut up about last year. And that slice of pie will take the form of some of the things we brought back from our holiday across the pond. Our NYC haul, if you will.

We went to a free exhibition at the NY Public Library, it was called Lunch Hour and, shockingly enough, talked you through the history of NYC lunches - from 'power lunches' to the Automat (essentially a vending machine with lunches in it). It was pretty interesting. In amongst the exhibition they had a number of old  menus from long-gone city restaurants, as well some rather amusing 1960s cookbooks and an impressive collection of kids' lunch boxes. The exhibition was also giving away recipe cards taken from the original Automat kitchens. Mitch and I picked up pumpkin pie and mac'n'cheese cards.

On our last morning in new york Mitch and I went to the Guggenheim Museum. This painting, 'Yellow Cow' by Franz Marc, is part of the museum's founding collection. I just love the cow's expression - she looks so blissfully happy. When Mitch and I first saw this painting we both turned to each and, at the same time, imitated that happy cow's expression. I couldn't leave new york without a postcard of it.

This is the cork - still in the cork screw - from the bottle of wine we had on new years eve. Call me mushy, I don't care. I think it's fun to keep it Plus, the cork bears the name of wine we drank: Smoking Loon :)


The most expensive purchase I made in New York? This leather bag from a leather stall at a flea market inside Chelsea Market on Dec 31st. I've been wearing it nearly every day for a whole year and still bloody love it. The bag gets a lot of lovely compliments and whenever any body asks me where I got it from I am immediately transported back to that flea market in the Meat Packing District.


These two prints were also purchased at the flea market sold to us by the artist herself. She takes well known paintings and adds her own little characters to them. We actually bought five of them but I think these two are my favourites. They're so weird but great - I cannot wait to be able to frame and display them properly.

We picked up a few coasters over the holiday - the beer one from Blue Smoke is a favourite.


The mug was bought at Brooklyn Flea. It was, hands down, the coolest flea market I'd ever been to and I really wanted something to commemorate that day. Can't go wrong with a good mug.

The 'greetings from' postcard I found in a lovely bookshop but can't for the life of me remember where... And just to the left of it, is our ticket to the Top of the Rock :)

After I took these pictures I realised that I forgot to include our largest purchase of the holiday. Also from the Brooklyn Flea, this awesome cushion cover which, to be honest, looks a little big for our tiny crappy sofa. However, once we eventually buy our dream sofa (it exists - I've seen it!), this cushion will look right at home.

So there you have it - our new york goodies :)

3 comments:

  1. Oh wow, I'm so jealous - I'd love to go to NY! These goodies are amazing as they bring back so many memories, I'm a postcard and pencil tacky kind of girl but I will definitely rethink my souvenier buying habits after this post!

    The cushion and bag are lovely! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I confess I also love a good postcard but a souvenir that can also double up as something useful is a bonus! There were so many things at the flea markets but my suitcase was too damn small. No wonder people take empty suitcases to NYC! X

      Delete
  2. That bag is amazing, i love when you find something on holidays that you can use all the time. NYC is definitly a place id like to venture to, especially the local less touristy bits! :)

    ReplyDelete

Ta v.much :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...