9 Aug 2013

Project Linus Block

At the spring edition of the Knitting & Stitching show I came across Project Linus. It's a volunteer organisation which aims to give comfort and support to sick or disadvantaged children, teenagers and babies by providing them with new home-made quilts, knitted and crochet blankets all made and donated by members of the local community.
Back in March I met the president of the UK branch who told me that they were organising a project to make as many quilts as possible by asking people to contribute a patchwork block in one of four different colourways (one for each season). Participants had until August to send them in or drop them off at the Project Linus stand at The Festival of Quilts. Above is the block I contributed - I went for the Spring colours - which I handed in at the festival yesterday. It really is a great little organisation and although it can't cure any illnesses or magically solve serious troubles, the blankets are a help in smaller ways - as reassurance, a sign that someone cares or even just as something warm and soft to snuggle under.

 The project always needs more stuff and you can contribute by donating fabric or wool, sending in completed blankets or volunteering to help distribute the finished ones. As this is a country wide effort you'll want to contact your local representative should you like to get involved. All the area contacts are on the Project Linus website. My company made a large fabric donation so I met with the west london/hounslow lady - she was lovely. I think they'll probably do one of these patchwork block things again so, if you're handy with the sewing machine you can always make one or two!

A little fun fact before I go - Project Linus is actually named after the blanket-toting character from the Charlie Brown comics. Cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ta v.much :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...